From 1912 through 2017, Nugent Sand operated its mining operation, Plant #1, in Norton Shores, Michigan. During that period, two (2) lakes were created from the mining operation “North Lake” and “South Lake”. Mining of the South Lake was completed in the late 1990’s and mining commenced on the North Lake.
After completion of the South Lake during the late 1990’s, the South Lake was left as a natural preserve for wildlife. In 2016, the mining of North Lake depleted the deposit and later completed the reclamation of the North Lake.
Ultimately, Nugent Sand’s 376 acres site had 2 lakes, 67-acre North Lake and 120-acre South Lake. There are over 4 miles of walking trails, lakes full of fresh water fish for the outdoor person and over 1,600 feet of Lake Michigan shoreline.
After many years of family collaboration, a decision was made to donate a large portion of the site to the County of Muskegon. With the large land donation from the family, the County was able to obtain grants from the State of Michigan’s Department of Natural Resources and the Land Conservancy of West Michigan to purchase the rest of the land from Nugent Sand. In March 2021, Muskegon County opened the former Nugent Sand site as Dune Harbor County Park.