Nugent Sand’s roots are firmly grounded in the foundry industry. For over a century, Nugent Sand has been a primary supplier of silica lake sand to the metalcasting industry. Our ownership, management, quality control and sales team members have direct experience working in the metal casting industry. We participate in foundry continuing education/training with our employees. We strive to understand and be a resource for our metalcasting customers. Our facilities were designed to provide the ultimate sand controls for A.F.S. Grain Fineness Number (GFN), Screen Distribution, Acid Demand Value (ADV), , Moisture and Temperature. In addition to our product offerings, we can design a specific blend to meet a foundry’s specifications and requirements, as needed.
Superior Blending Capabilities
Nugent Sand uses a blending system to create sand blends with a typical A.F.S. Grain Fineness Number of 39 – 80 to meet customer sand requirements. Our superior blending capabilities and quality control procedures allow us to deliver sand within a very tight and consistent range on each required sieve.
Our lake sand is currently being used in a wide variety of metals including Grey Iron, Ductile Iron, Non-Ferrous applications, and specific steel applications. For Cores, Molds, and Green Sand our sand is currently being used in virtually all non-permanent applications including No-Bake, Coldbox, Hotbox, and Shell among other applications.
Why Lake Sand?
Lake sand is a vital part of the Nugent Sand process and who we are as a company. The benefits of Nugent’s Silica Lake Sub-Angular Sand:
- CUSTOM: Custom blended to meet customer specifications between A.F.S. grain fineness of 39 – 80
- LOW VARIANCE: Smallest variance to customer specifications (+1 or -1)
- CONSISTENT: Given our quality control procedures and blending capabilities, we are able to consistently every shipment to the client’s specification with minimal variance to that specification.
- LOWER DEFECTS FOR MOLDS: For Molds, our 4-screen sand has increased density and has more resistance to expansion defects including veins, buckles, scabs and erosion.
- DOLLAR SAVINGS: Many of our clients have seen substantial dollar savings through reduced resin levels, less additive, and coating consumption directly improving their bottom line.
Bulk rail (114 tons) or truckload (50 or 25 tons)
Bagged in super sacks (3,000 pounds) bags or 50-pound bags
Quality & Service Since 1912
With Decades of Reserves to Serve Our Customers
Our core values help to set us apart.
At Nugent, we not only strive to provide our clients with consistent quality time and time again but also to treat others with respect on and off the job. Our core values are the bedrock of our long-term customer relationships.
We know that you demand consistency. Our rigorous, multi-step, computer-to-human testing processes ensure that we meet customer requirements each and every time.
DO WHAT YOU SAY YOU WILL
We really do make promises we can keep. We’re honest, transparent, and committed to doing what’s best for our customers, employees, and community.
We work hard to ensure every interaction you have with our people, at every step, is the best it can be. Every grain of sand we provide follows a proven processs executed by highly-trained and experienced experts, all focused on meeting your requirements.