We Offer A Custom Approach Based
On Each Specific Customer Need
Why Lake Sand
Lake sand is a vital part of the Nugent Sand process and who we are as a company. The benefits of Nugent’s Silica Lake Sub-Angular Sand:
- CUSTOM: Custom blended to meet customer specifications between A.F.S. grain fineness of 39 – 80
- LOW VARIANCE: Smallest variance to customer specifications (+1 or -1)
- CONSISTENT: Given our quality control procedures and blending capabilities, we are able to consistently every shipment to the client’s specification with minimal variance to that specification.
- LOWER DEFECTS FOR MOLDS: For Molds, our 4-screen sand has increased density and has more resistance to expansion defects including veins, buckles, scabs and erosion.
- DOLLAR SAVINGS: Many of our clients have seen substantial dollar savings through reduced resin levels, less additive, and coating consumption directly improving their bottom line.
Our Process & Silica Sand Deposit
Our Silica Lake Sand Deposit is a sub-angular grain from just 10 miles off the coast of Lake Michigan. Nugent Sand has decades’ worth of reserves to serve our customers.
Our Manufacturing/Mining Process
Nugent Sand’s mine is located in Muskegon, Michigan. Nugent’s mines and process silica lake sand with production capacity of over 1,200,000 tons per year.
We mine via a hydraulic dredge at a rate of 500 – 600 tons per hour. The dredge pumps a water/sand slurry back to the plant for processing.
In our washplant, the sand is water washed to remove clays and silt. Next, the sand is processed through conditioners and water flotation cells to control the PH and Acid Demand Values (cleanliness of sand). Next, we use density separators to separate sand by grain size to produce distinct grades of sand which are inventoried in large stockpiles.
The stockpiled sand is conveyed to dryers to maintain a constant dry sand silo inventory. We have several dry screening areas in our plant to create different grades of sand. Nugent Sand has over 6,000 tons of silo inventory for its products.
Nugent uses a blending system to create custom sand blends with an A.F.S Grain Fineness of 39 – 80 to meet individual customer sand requirements. Our superior blending capabilities and quality control procedures allow us to deliver sand within +1/-1 of a specified A.F.S Grain Fineness number (GFN).
Quality & Service Since 1912
With Decades of Reserves to Serve Our Customers
Our core values help to set us apart.
At Nugent, we not only strive to provide our clients with consistent quality time and time again but also to treat others with respect on and off the job. Our core values are the bedrock of our long-term customer relationships.
We know that you demand consistency. Our rigorous, multi-step, computer-to-human testing processes ensure that we meet customer requirements each and every time.
DO WHAT YOU SAY YOU WILL
We really do make promises we can keep. We’re honest, transparent, and committed to doing what’s best for our customers, employees, and community.
We work hard to ensure every interaction you have with our people, at every step, is the best it can be. Every grain of sand we provide follows a proven processs executed by highly-trained and experienced experts, all focused on meeting your requirements.